Building History

About the Goerling-Kickbusch House

The law office of Eaton John Overbey Jackman is located in a historic home at 513 Grant Street in Wausau. The house was built in 1910 by Peter Goerling.  Mr. Goerling was the manager of the Hotel Bellis, which was replaced by Hotel Wausau (now known as the Landmark Building) in 1924.

The house was originally quite modest, built in the American Foursquare style. In 1917, August Kickbusch II purchased the home. Kickbusch undertook extensive remodeling of the house in 1924, adding two sun rooms, arcaded windows and a tiled porch in the Mediterranean style, a formal classical entrance, and ornate custom-designed chimney crowns.

August Kickbusch II was the grandson of Wausau’s first mayor. Elected in 1872, August Kickbusch Sr. may have won the election by virtue of the fact that, five years earlier, he had returned to his homeland of Germany and brought back to America with him 702 people, all of whom are believed to have settled in the Wausau Area.

August Kickbusch II carried on the “A. Kickbusch Wholesale Grocery Company” founded by his grandfather. The store, which was located at what is now the site of the Marathon County Public Library, sold goods under the label “Vanity Kickbusch.”

In 1970, after Kickbusch and his wife, Virginia, had passed away, their children donated the home to the YWCA. In 1988, the home was purchased by Tim and Peggy Opper, who resided there until 2000, when it became home to the law office of Eaton & Prohaska, now known as Eaton John Overbey Jackman. We are happy to give our clients a tour of the office upon request.

Go back to all office photos

The following two tabs change content below.

Latest posts by Eaton John Overbey Jackman, LLP (see all)