How do I start a divorce?


To start a divorce, your lawyer will file a Summons and Petition for Divorce with the Clerk of Court. Your spouse must be served with this Summons and Petition for Divorce within 60 days after you file. There are two ways you can serve papers on your spouse: (1) Your spouse can sign an Admission of Service or (2) a process server or police department/sheriff’s department can serve the papers.  An alternate method of initiating a divorce is for both spouses to sign a Joint Petition for Divorce.  This eliminates the service requirement. Your lawyer can provide more information on beginning the divorce process.

Recent Posts